Monday, July 16, 2012

Grow your own Scallions (Spring Onion or Green Onion)


My beautiful wife loves cooking with Scallions.  They have a mild onion flavor that goes well with any meal that needs a quick kick... She used to buy a bundle of them from the supermarket, chop up the usable green leaf, then dispose of the lower bulb:

File:GreenOnions.jpg


One day, her mom got an idea...

After chopping off the edible top, we placed the white bulb into a small glass of water.  Sure enough, the bulb began giving roots and the green top began growing back!  We soon learned that we could simply put the left over bulb into soil and the plant would grow on its own!  This method should save you some money at the supermarket...

I've thrown together a visual guide to re-using your old scallion bulbs below:

A scallion.  The edible part is green.  The white part to the left of the photo is the bulb.
Chop off the edible top to be used for cooking.
Plant the bulb directly into soil.  Leave the top tip above soil.  Water immediately and regularly (don't go crazy with watering these...they don't seem to need too much H2O). 

You can see the scallion I've just planted in relation to scallions  I just planted a week and a half ago!

They can get big!  Note that we chopped off the tips of some of these scallions...they will grow back!

The bulbs widen considerably. 
The leaf , bulb, and roots...



I'm not entirely sure how many times I can "decapitate" my scallions and expect them to grow back.  I will let you know if I find a limit...

Anyway...enjoy!

1 comment: