Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sweet Pepper

I started my sweet pepper plants from seed in early spring.  I used "Burpee - Sweet Pepper - Carnival Hybrid Mix" seeds.


(http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/sweet-peppers/bell/pepper-sweet-carnival-mix-prod000826.html)



The young plants grew rather slowly indoors, but as soon as the warm summer air moved in, they started to grow like crazy.  All my seeds grew, none failed -- so I guess that's a good promotion for Burpee's pepper seeds...


(In fact, I had so many plants I had to give most of them away to family and friends...)



Anyway, my plants finally started to grow flowers about a week ago (the start of July).

A typical sweet pepper flower.
These flowers have both male and female organs, so there should be no problem as far as pollination is concerned.



I have tested a few techniques to self-pollinate these flowers.  I have shaken and flicked the flowers to increase the chance of pollen reaching the female organs.  I have also used a Q-tip to help spread the pollen.  Examples of these two techniques can be found on my video below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I don't know what went wrong with this flower.  Maybe the plant needed more water? If anyone has any idea...let me know!

Two large pepper plants

I will have updates as soon as I get some peppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment